Sunday, November 13, 2011

one hundred five



A demonstrator embraces a riot police officer during a student protest against government plans to reform higher education in Bogota, Colombia.    --   (Photo: William Fernando Martinez)


I found this image on Google+ with the caption:

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -- Mahatma Gandhi

We toss that quote around like a spoonful of sugar. But I don't think many of use truly embrace the real-world meaning of it; or what it may require us to do. We've all got medicine to swallow, difficult-to-live-through moments on our journey, in order to truly inspire change.

I wonder how many of us are guilty of taking the sugar-spoon and dumping the medicine; of taking the easy road, instead of the narrow path. We decide in those moments that change, real change, isn't that important. There's no reason to actually suffer or deny one's self for change, is there?

And, it is a fact - real, lasting change often requires a denial of a selfish will.

Let me be clear, I am not among the innocent.
I've experienced the sugar high and skipped along the wide, easy path.

But I see moments like this, and it encourages to me review my actions. To see where indeed I could be the change I want to see in my world.


To start: I'd like to choose to love in impossible-to-love moments.


1 comment:

  1. That was wonderful to see...and you're RIGHT...WE NEED to be the Change we want to SEE and then it all falls into place.

    ReplyDelete