Friday, November 11, 2011

one hundred three


“To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations.” 

— Woodrow Wilson: November 11, 1919 


I am thankful every day for the men and woman who serve to protect my country. I have a good handful of friends and family who have served or are serving; and being within their sphere of influence keeps me abreast of the day to day issues facing military families.

I am thankful for their sacrifice.
The sacrifices they make in their lives, in their families, protect my family. And I am sincerely grateful for the way they put themselves on the line to improve my life.

The man portrayed in this picture is particularly dear to my heart. I knew him as a college boy. We had the opportunity to meet after he met and fell in love with my college roommate Freshman year. Although we’ve not maintained our connection as much as we’ve wanted to, I’ve been close enough to them to see him grow from a boy into a man.

I respect him more than I can say for protecting his country, loving his wife and kids and developing into a responsible, thoughtful individual. He adds value to his world; and to my world. This picture is an unforgettable moment of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment