Sunday, February 5, 2012

one hundred forty-nine

A,

It is winter in the midwest, and we are all hunkered down for the snow. Thanksgiving and Christmas have passed and because we have lived here our whole lives all we can do is be prepared and wait. Winters in Michigan make everyone crave carbs, warm pajama pants and sleep.

You are working so hard now, and rarely are you home. When you are, I get the pleasure of watching you sleep. You sleep so hard and for so long. Dogs bark, TV channels change and still, you do not stir.
I am always restless, I am a tried and true insomniac, but that gives me time to study your face, to watch your pale skin pink at the cheeks, listen to your even breath rise and fall, rise and fall.

We’ve been married six months and still you make me nervous, still I can’t sleep, eat or keep my thoughts from coming back to you.

We want to stay married a long time, like your grandparents, who have just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. I can see this happening...

Read more...

Written by K. W. on January 25, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment